1. The devastating Tribulation judgments are now going to be brought to a climatic end as we will see the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. Let me say, many have inserted that those who believe in a pre-tribulation rapture have Christ coming a third time here. That is false. In 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17 and 1 Corinthians 15:52 we see a clear picture of Jesus gathering both those dead and alive in Christ TO Him in the air. He doesnít set foot on earth. I plan on touching on this subject a little later in this chapter so for now, we focus back on the beginning. The focus is now shifting to the Bride of Christ, which is in Heaven as the harlot of Babylon has been destroyed.
2. We start out seeing there is a huge roar in Heaven praising God for Babylonís destruction. God has given revenge to the martyrs of the Tribulation righteously and her smoke ascends forever. There are actually two shouts of ďAlleluiaĒ in Heaven. One for Babylon the religious systemís destruction and one for the destruction of Babylon the city. Understand the rejoicing is because this Satanic system is come to and end, not rejoicing over bloodshed.
3. The 24 elders, as spoken of in Chapter 4 are the Church, and the 4 living creatures begin worshipping God and praising Him. A voice from around the throne tells all Godís servants to join in so all Heaven will be rejoicing. This praise is so loud it is likened to thundering. It brings to mind how David had 4,000 Levites playing musical instruments while the temple was being built. Can you imagine how loud that was? How much louder it will be in Heaven!
4. As we get to verse 7, we see the marriage supper of the Lamb to the Bride of Christ beginning. Understand, we are the Bride of Christ so we are already there. I will bring this up again later. Fine linen is given to us representing our righteousness provided through Jesus. It is white, in great contrast to the harlot who was in scarlet and purple. This scenario ties in to a Jewish marriage. There are three stages. The betrothal, the presentation, and the marriage supper. We see this symbolism in the events after Jesus Christís first advent. The betrothal is the time period of the Church era in which we wait on Jesus to come back for us. The presentation is the point in which Jesus rapture those dead and alive in him. And finally the marriage supper which is shown here and we are with Him ever more.
5. Now Heaven opens and we see One on a white horse, though not the same as that one which was in Revelation 6:2. No, this is Jesus, and He is called Faithful and True. He is the True Messiah and is Faithful to His Words and promises. When Jesus came the first time, He came to save the world not judge it, but this time is so much different! We are told He will righteously judge and make war, the time is at hand for His second coming. Notice the description: eyes like flames of fire, many crowns which represent His sovereignty, and a name written no man knows except Him, a vest dipped in blood showing judgment coming to pass, and His name is call ďThe Word of GodĒ. Oh how awesome is He. The Word who became flesh in John 1:1-14 to save us now returns to set up the millennial reign.
6. Then we see that the armies of heaven, which means the hosts of Heaven, are following him, and also are upon white horses. Since we know the marriage supper has taken place, we know that we are with Him in this, and it says our clothing is fine linen that is white and clean. You will notice, we have no swords or battle gear. We have no need to; we have the Word leading us! What will Christ use? A sharp sword that goes out of His mouth and He will smite them and rule the nations. This destruction is coming with the fierceness of Almighty God. Just as Christ spoke all things into existence, He can speak and destroy these who think they can stop Him. King of Kings and Lord of Lords. There is no greater name.
7. Something interesting then happens, another great feast is about to take place. An angel calls all the meat eating birds to come gather around this area where the armies are gathered in the valley of Megiddo that we talked about back in Chapter 16. This is the equivalent of a canoe taking on a battle ship, yet Satan has these people fooled into standing firm. We see that the beast (Antichrist) and false prophet are plucked from them and thrown into a lake of fire that burns with brimstone. These are its first two inhabitants with many more to follow after the Great White Throne Judgment, but weíll address that in another chapter. The rest of those gathered are then slain by the sword from the mouth of Jesus, the Word. A huge feast is then had by all the birds in which the angel called. Remember, this valley is filled with 200 million men with blood rising to a horseís bridle. There are still many non-believers in the world as Christ sets up in Jerusalem to rule the nations with an iron rod for 1000 years. That comes in the next chapter.
8. As we have seen this picture, the clearest picture in all the Bible of Jesusí second coming, I want to make some points. Many have people falsely believing the rapture, or gathering of the saints does not take place until Jesus sets foot on the Earth again to set up the millennial kingdom. This chapter flies in their face and is proof that we are gone before the Tribulation starts. In this chapter, there is no mention of a resurrection. Donít you think if the resurrection were to happen at this point for believers it would deserve some kind of mention, maybe just a verse? But it does not. Further, Jesus promised us we would be at the marriage supper because we are His Bride, yet when He sets foot on earth the marriage supper has already taken place! Some then suppose it is after the 1000 year reign, and we arise at the Great White Throne Judgment. This also cannot be true. Letís look at two verses:
1st Thessalonians 4:15-17
15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
1st Corinthians 15:52
In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
9. It is important to note that the verses in Thessalonians do not show a resurrection of the lost, only those in Christ. The Great White Throne Judgment involves sinners, so that cannot be the case either. Lastly, some still contend that it is at the 7th Trumpet based on the verse in Corinthians. This also cannot be the case. Paul wrote that letter some 40 years before John wrote Revelation. Trumps have many designs and usually show a shift of ages or change in times. The Israelites have a fest of Trumpets and of course at the end, finishes with a trumpet blast. This simulation is very strong to Paulís last trump to the point that a lot of people believe that is the timing of whatever year Christ returns that it will happen. Thatís subjection though. What is sure is the trump Paul spoke of is not the one in revelation, and rather is one signaling the end of an age, one that may only be heard in Heaven and not here anyway. It is clear that Jesus, the good husbandman will not have His Brie go through His wrath. We are gone BEFORE the Tribulation starts.
Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
1 Thessalonians 1:10
and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead. Even Jesus. Who delivereth us from the wrath to come.
1 Thessalonians 5:9
For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ
Click Here to go to the Next Chapter
Click Here to go Back to Revelation Study Main Page
Click Here to go Back to Main Page