1. The Tribulation and judgments are now over and it is time for prophecy to be fulfilled of Jesus Christ reigning on earth with a rod. The 1000 year reign of Christ, also known as the millennial reign begins. The rule of Christ on earth can be seen in prophecies in Daniel 2:35, Zechariah 14:9, and in Matthew 25:31.
2. In the beginning verses of this chapter, we see that an angel is sent to earth having a great chain and the key to the bottomless pit. This angel grabs Satan and binds him for 1000 years in this pit, the Abyss, which we spoke of before back in Chapter 9.Imagine that. No Satan to tempt and accuse. Scripture is not clear if Satanís minions will be with him, or simply stagnate on earth, but in either case, there will be 1000 years of no temptation, yet we are told at the end of that time, Satan is loosed again. Whatís this all about?
3. It is important to understand, at the Battle of Megiddo, the Anti-Christ, False Prophet, and the 200 million man army are the ones who are wiped out, scripture does not say the rest of the world is. This has been a point missed by many people and causes much confusion in understanding the millennial reign. Due to Christís instant and devastating victory over them, the world will be brought under submission to Him. This will be a time when man will not have the temptations of the Devil and scripture speaks of it being a time where men live to be much older. One dying at 100 would be considered a babe. Why? The physical and earthly presence of Jesus will cause much to be different in this world, though it will not be perfection, it will be much better than it was before. Since not all are killed at that battle, they come through the 7 year Tribulation, still living, breathing humans. They live during this time and will carry on as humans having children, etc. This is confirmed in an Old Testament prophecy that shows those left will come once a year to worship Jesus.
16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the LORD of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.
4. This brings to light verse 4 of this chapter where it speaks of us living and reigning with Jesus. The Bride of Christ is with Jesus already, we came with Him, following Him as he wiped out the armies at Armageddon. This verse shows us that the martyred saints of the Tribulation are there too, and verse 5 follows showing that this is the first resurrection, the rest of the dead, those who died without Christ, are not living again yet. That will come after the 1000 year reign. We are told those who have part in this first resurrection are blessed. Why? The second death, what comes after the judgment of unbelievers, will have no power over us.
5. Verse 7 shows Satan is now released after his stint in prison. Keep in mind, for 1000 years, there will have been peace on earth. Lion and lamb can be next to each other, no wars, no temptation to sin. Will those humans alive still sin? Human nature does not allow us to be perfect now, nor will it then. This is one of the things that is the purpose in us judging during the millennium. It will be a time where if there is a disagreement over how something must be done, how it lines up with Scripture, etc, we will judge as we reign with Christ. We are NOT condemning people to everlasting judgment, only God has that authority as you will see later. These in the millennium have not been tested, Satan has been bound, they are now going to have a choice to make. Satan quickly gets to work trying to deceive all nations again. Many listen to him, in fact, the number of those he gets this time is shown to be as the sand of the sea. This is a far greater number than the previous 200 million man army. Clearly, this is a different battle all together. Satan has gathered those from Gog, Magog, and all over the earth. Verse 9 shows us they are quickly and decidedly devoured by fire out of Heaven, much the same way that Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed.
6. One may ask what is the meaning in all this? It shows that man does in fact have a sinful nature. The simple removal of Satan does not change our propensity to sin, we have a rebellious nature inside of us, so there will be a need for ALL things of old to be done away with and everything to be new. That is exactly what is going to happen. The start of that process is in verse 10 where we see Satan is cast into the Lake of Fire with the first two inhabitants, the Anti-Christ and the False Prophet and the torment will be for ever. They will not be the only ones to suffer this end though.
7. Verse 11 is quite interesting indeed. A great white throne appears, which is the Throne of God, and by the revealing of his face, we are told the heavens and the earth fled away, and there was no place left for them! Itís all gone. It has been removed to make way for a new heaven and earth, but judgment must come first.
8. Verses 12-15 is the scene of the Great White throne judgment. This shows everyone, from when time began, that dies without Jesus Christ, is raised up. Whether of renown on this earth or meek, it will do them no good. Christ is our ONLY Advocate, and they do not have Him. The Book of Life is brought out as well as other books which will have all the actions of these people, thoughts and such too, that they will answer for. We are told that the sea gives up its dead as well as Death and Hades. Death and Hades are simply the graves, death has ruled over man since the fall in the Garden of Eden and verse 14 shows they will be no more. Death and Hades are thrown into the Lake of fire. No more death, no more grave, judgment is shown here, that it will be eternal and everlasting. This defeats the theory out there that is called Annihilism. In it, people say God will just destroy those people completely, but Scripture shows us different hear. They will never die, for there is no longer and death.
9. Each person is judged based on their works which are recorded in the books we just spoke of. Now does God need these books? Absolutely not. Itís not for his benefit; it is for those standing before Him. When they try to speak of all the good they have done, He will point out to them how the evil they have done separates them from Him. Thatís no different than us. We can never do enough good to justify ourselves, it is through Christ alone we are justified. Through Salvation, we do good works, and will be rewarded. Salvation produces good works (fruit), the works do not produce nor make any better our Salvation. Thank-you Jesus for loving us so much! But so many people have rejected the Gospel message and the stand before God with no Advocate. Their name will not be found in the Book of Life. Anyone who is not found in the Book of Life is cast into the Lake of Fire. Again, since death and the grave are no more, this is an eternal torment, never-ending. No second chance, no do-over, and your only way in to the Book of Life is Salvation through Jesus Christ.
10. In this day, many Christians have become complacent. Many are fearful to witness to others. I have had an atheist tell me, ďIf Christians really believed there was a place called Hell that unbelievers ended up in, they would be out telling everyone they could.Ē Heís exactly right. Is it fair for you to sit around why a world turns their back on God and is headed there? Can you not give up your comfort zone and do battle for the Lord? He stepped out of Heaven for you and went all the way to the Cross. What is others had given up on you? Praise the Lord for those who will spread that Gospel message. It is not a job for just preachers and missionaries, it is EVERY Christianís job, you are commanded to. Get out of the church pew, into the street, and spread the love of Jesus.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen
Click Here to go to the Next Chapter
Click Here to go Back to Revelation Study Main Page
Click Here to go Back to Main Page