1. Chapter 8 picks up where Chapter 6 leaves off. The seventh seal. We see that when this final seal is opened there is a long silence, for half an hour. This shows an almost anticipation of the next impending judgments as well as reverence for the righteousness in which our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ carries this out. It is an eerie and foreboding silence as the coming wrath of God starts its next course.
2. The opening of the 7th seal reveals 7 angels that are given 7 trumpets. How interesting that we continue seeing the number seven as we have already spoken about! The Tribulation has many names it is referred to within the Bible. It is called “Time of Jacob’s Trouble” in Jeremiah 30:7, 70th Week of Daniel” in Daniel 9:24-27, and “Day of the Lord’s Vengeance” in Isaiah 34:8, just to name a few. What is interesting is that the prophet Zephaniah calls it 7 different names, of which the last is “Day of Trumpet & Alarm” in Zephaniah 1:14-16. How fitting that now becomes!
3. We then see incense and prayer being offered to the Lord, and many times, prayer is referred to as incense. These are prayers of the saints, most likely those of the Tribulation saints crying for revenge. God has been slow to anger for a very long time, and even after the rapture, through the persecution of those that come to know Him, He waits for others to be given time as well. Finally, through the prayers and incense it has come time. The angel fills a censer and fills it with fire from the throne and casts it to the Earth producing thunder, lightning, and an earthquake. This is a “shot across the bow” so to speak, and the entire world will experience this.
4. The first angel sounds hail and fire mingled with blood hit the earth and 1/3 of the trees and all the green grass are burnt up. This will cause a serious decline in oxygen and people as well as crops will be affected by this. This judgment is very similar to the seventh plague of Egypt. Another side effect is the lack of lumber for building or rebuilding, and with the lack of oxygen, there will be much loss of human life, yet the world will still not come to God.
5. The second angel sounds and something which sounds like a meteor called a great mountain burning was cast to the sea and 1/3 of the sea became blood causing 1/3 of the sea creatures to die as well as 1/3 of the ships to be destroyed. This of course will produce less evaporation for rain with 1/3 of the sea being blood which also means less fresh water on land. Commerce will dwindle with 1/3 of the ships gone too. Imagine countries dependent on imports to survive! Also, imagine the destruction caused by what will have to be a huge tidal wave from something of this size hitting the water. It is notable that this resembles the 1st plague of Egypt.
6. Now the 3rd angel sounds and we are told of a great star that falls from heaven, and it is called wormwood. Wormwood was a bitter herb and it would make water undrinkable, and we are told it hits 1/3 of the rivers and fountains of waters. Many men will die from this poisoned water. On a couple side notes, the word star can refer to an angel or actual stars we see in the sky. The latter is what I believe is being spoken of. The word heaven in the Bible has three different meanings, so it has to be taken in context. It was based on the view of man looking up. The first heaven was that area in which men could see birds fly, clouds move, etc. The second heaven is a reference to that area in which the stars, sun, and moon are. Finally, the third Heaven, as Paul calls it, is God’s abode. That in mind, this is a burning star, falling from outer space, filled with wormwood, yet its origin is from this judgment that Jesus is executing in Heaven. With this judgment, drinking water, water for crops to grow, making food, feeding animals, etc is greatly reduced.
7. We now have the fourth trumpet and we find that 1/3 of the light of the sun, moon, and stars is darkened. This darkness will cause fear, as well as decreased crop production and plant growth. It will cause severe weather changes and cause a very cold climate to encompass the Earth. Famine, sickness, and death will ensue. But wait, there’s more. Pagans worship these objects, and witches, astrologers, and fortune tellers use them to try and make predictions. What a smack in the face they’ll receive with this!
8. We end this chapter seeing another angel flying through Heaven crying with a loud voice saying woe, woe, woe. One woe for each of the last three trumpets, and being set apart, with this decree, means it only gets worse from here for those living on Earth. Praise God we, the Bride of Christ will not be here!
Click Here to go to the Next Chapter
Click Here to go Back to Revelation Study Main Page
Click Here to go Back to Main Page